In this section:
Salary packaging: what’s it all about
Put simply, salary packaging is allocating a portion of your pre-tax salary to the payment of certain expenses, like your mortgage, rent, groceries or insurance, to reduce the amount of income tax you pay and increase your disposable income.
The amount you can save on tax will depend on your income, the benefits available to you and the types of expenses you choose to salary package. Your AccessPay consultant works with you to understand the salary packaging benefits available to you; how they work and how you can expect your disposable income to be affected.
When you’ve decided benefits, AccessPay works with your employer to set up your benefit so that on payday, it all works seamlessly.
Read more about how to get your salary packaging started here
What can you salary package
There are three main salary packaging benefits available to employees in the not-for-profit sector.
General Living Expenses
Use up to $15,900 per year* of your pre-tax income for expenses you are already paying, including:
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Credit card and personal loan payments
- Household utilities such as gas, electricity and water
- Car expenses including petrol and registration
- Health insurance premiums
Meal Entertainment Benefit is capped at $2,650 per FBT year and is in addition to General Living Expenses. Eligible expenses include:
- Meals and drinks consumed at a restaurant, cafe, tavern or hotel
- Taxi fares travelling to and from a restaurant, café, tavern or hotel
- External supplier costs paid by you for catering a private event
Enjoy your holiday, or a hire a function venue, tax-free! This benefit is combined with the Meal Entertainment Cap, and allows you to salary package:
- Holiday accommodation, including hotel or motel rooms, apartment or holiday house
- Car hire while on holidays
- Hire of a reception venue, private function room or marquee.